Thursday, February 7, 2013

Happy Birthday Mr. Dickens

(7 Feb 1812 - 9 Jun 1870)
Let the tears which fell, and the broken words which were exchanged in the long close embrace between the orphans, be sacred. A father, sister, and mother, were gained, and lost, in that one moment. Joy and grief were mingled in the cup; but there were no bitter tears: for even grief itself arose so softened, and clothed in such sweet and tender recollections, that it became pleasure, and lost all character of pain.
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the world! Hope you had a great visit with your sister, now get back to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, we had fun. There was a big ol' 'Now Where The Hell Was I?' poster waiting for me when I got home.

      Get back to work? That's one of the more sensible pieces of advice you've offered me since I've known you.

      Delete
  2. That Rob; he's such a task-master. Indeed, welcome back Erica. And here's to Mr. Dickens (I'm raising a steaming cup of tea to him as I read the passage.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob's a master of something, that's for sure.

      Thanks for the welcome back. Yeah, reading Dickens is the Dickens, but boy, what a legend.

      Delete
  3. How did I miss this post? I swear...the last post on my blogroll (before the snow skiing one) was Diction Addiction. You slipped this one in on me. Dickens is one of my favorites. We should have gotten together for cake and coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... or a bowl of gruel. Yummy.

      Yeah, I've noticed you're a classics fiend. F. Scott's obviously your fav'. I was a tad disappointed with Gatsby. Having not grown up in the U.S., I'm guessing I'm one of the few who didn't read this at school. I'm making an effort to read more American masters while I'm living here.

      I'm happy to chat about this stuff whenever you like, with cake and coffee preferably.

      Delete