Sunday, February 24, 2013

February: Martha's Vineyard

Edgartown Lighthouse, Martha's Vineyard.
Original photo is by Paul Rezendes

Back in January, I set sail on my journey of rejection. I committed myself to devising some type of submission plan as I cruised around the Islets of the Scouts.

Now, my trusty ship (The Eggonaut??), with the help of my lighthouse wall calendar, has taken me to Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts.

I have yet to visit the area in person, but I hear it's very relaxing there, particularly not in February for those of us allergic to cold weather.

It's fitting then, that I take a breath, and enjoy the calm.

The spreadsheets are spreading, the lists are lengthening, and I am gradually polishing my work and sending it out. I'm starting small, fishing for minnows, while the bigger fish continue to circle the boat, demanding attention.

The Edgartown Lighthouse on my calendar reminds me to take it easy, do what I can, and most importantly of all, be patient. The rejections will come and tear at the hull, but until then, I'm enjoying the scenery.




[Rejections this year: One. The postie returned a submission for lack of postage. What really hurts is almost certainly knowing that he or she didn't even bother to read it.
Non-Rejections: One. 9th place in the 13th Annual Writer's Digest Short Short Story Competition. Thanks WD people.]

12 comments:

  1. Eggie,

    Way to go with the ninth place finish. That is GREAT! I will head back to the old stomping grounds to check it out. FANTASTIC! You Go Girl.

    By the way, I have been thinking about fighter pilot Erika “Chipmunk” Easton. I am digging the story line and the new changes. I will be back to work this week and I don’t want to make any promises, but I hope to have something for you to review soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, buddy, and welcome back. Yes, it's always dicey making promises when you take a path and don't know where it's going to lead. Good luck with the revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica, Wow-- 9th place is amazing but not surprising, knowing your writing. I'm cheering you on!

    I love lighthouses, by the way-- not only their physical beauty and idyllic settings, but also for all the metaphorical meaning we can place on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers back at you, Julie.

      Yeah, lighthouses are cool. (That's about the extent of my eloquence this morning.)

      Delete
  4. Rejections are a wonderful way of letting you know you're still alive and kicking in the wonderful ocean of literary bliss (or literary anguish). :)

    Congratulations on the 9th place win. Any success is great success and worthy of a happy dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Demetria. You're such a sport for humouring me with the oceanic analogy. There's a fine line between bliss and anguish, that's for sure. I'm glad today's a hornpipe day. (Those around me might not be so glad.)

      Delete
  5. You're doing great! A place at all on a WD list is an honor. Whoopie! And the rejection? Well, if it was returned for lack of postage, then it's doubtful that it was delivered. So they certainly didn't read it. That's good news. It's a privilege to watch you go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, isn't it? (Serves myself right for trying to blame the poor postie for my own gumbiness.)

      Thanks for the whoopie. A couple of the prizes just arrived. Double whoopie!

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed visiting your blog and seeing a picture of Edgartown lighthouse...one of my favorites on Martha's Vineyard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Joan. Martha's Vineyard looks fantastic on your site. This is one place I'd dearly love to visit (preferably in summer), even if all I do is check out that beautiful lighthouse.

      Delete
  7. It'll get better. Don't let rejections force you to give up. LOVE the lighthouse.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the encouragement, Sylvia.

    ReplyDelete