Thursday, October 4, 2012

Week 40 - Self-Awareness

30 Sep - 6 Oct: Talk amongst yourself

In Becoming a Writer, Dorothea Brande recommends writing a piece of dialogue between your creative self and your critical self. The objective of this exercise is to highlight strenghts, areas that could be improved, and general awareness of oneself as a writer. It's worth a shot, I guess.


Eureka
Sometimes you get caught up with describing images to the detriment of action. This slows the pace and things become, well, boring.
Egg:
What do you propose I do?
Eureka:
Keep things moving. Focus on effective nouns and verbs. Keep images relevant to the action. Be brief with images that are not relevant. When you notice inactive periods, rewrite and rebalance. And don't forget that all-important first sentence.
Egg:
 What about my dialogue?
Eureka:
It's not brilliant, but it's okay. It moves the story in your longer works, but you seem to avoid it in shorter pieces in favour of narrative.
Egg:
You're right. I'm surprised at how differently I approach dialogue in short and long pieces.  I think it's developing okay.  So what about my characters?
Eureka:
You need to focus more on what makes a character unique rather than fall back on everyday traits such as hair colour and build. Or else incorporate the description into the action.  For example, 'he lumbered' to indicate size and awkwardness. You are able to characterize succinctly when you need to. This is useful for giving life to minor characters. 
Egg:
What do I struggle with?
Eureka:
The quiet bits, like transitions.  If you can't connect briefly, interestingly and meaningfully, just skip them with transitional words and phrases.  Look for them when you edit your completed draft.  Shifts of POV in your novel.  Decide who's scene it is, and jump into their skin. Balance of POV's when ordering and structuring chapters.
Egg:
Anything else?
Eureka:
Yeah. You're a lazy researcher but thorough when you get into it (like doing tax returns). Also, try not to be too tied to reality. Let your imagination go. Originality is the key.
Egg:
 What are some of my strengths?
Eureka:
You've got the basics, so your writing usual flows well. You're picking up on rhythm (by reading aloud), vocabulary, and am learning concrete things from reading a lot. Short stories are getting better and easier. And of course, you're writing whenever you can, and you have a good attitude about learning, experimenting and not being discouraged by rejections.
Egg:
Where do you think I'm at?
Eureka:
Never stop reading instructional as well as fiction works, and collecting material. You've procrastinated about starting a proper journal. Do it. You have a lot of material. Polish them off and send them out, dude.
Egg:
Thanks Eureka. This was fun. Maybe we could go it again some time soon.
Eureka:
 You're welcome, and I look forward to it.

Exercise 79: Look at the objective-self's comments and recommendations. Spend an hour focusing on those issues, whether they relate to technique or working habits.

Exercise 80. Complete the sentence: "I can be a succussful writer because...." Keep it private, post on your own blog, or post it here. Now complete this sentence: "I am a unique writer because...."
  

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog.

    While not so structured, I've been having these very same conversations in my own brain as I review my MS-- evaluating my strengths, what I do well, where I really need to work and improve. Great suggestion for a pause and evaluation time without weird judgment or self-imposed insecurity. Helps detach the process a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Yeah, I think objectivity is underrated in the creative arts. There are few people who'll come right out and say 'That's just dumb' (constructively) regardless of how honest they are or how dumb it is. I know we can't pick up everything ourselves, but it's an important place to start.

      I like your comment about containing the judgement and insecurities. That really does leave it up to us, doesn't it? We know ourselves best, therefore, we can learn and choose to be our own best critics... without those 'I suck and I'm wasting my time' feelings.

      Delete
  2. My good friends:

    I am not very smart but I did graduate a lower tier college with a BS in Psychology. I have a comment but please understand that I only had a 2.2 GPA. I did attend class from time to time so I didn’t learn much and even less that I still remember. Please do not consider me an expert but…

    I think the deal was that people, who talk back to themselves, might have a problem. Having said that; I often have the same conversation. Thanks guys, you both are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I confess, you almost had me. I'm out in the French countryside somewhere with a houseful of Europeans that speak funny, so yes, I've resorted to talking to myself... and talking back.

      I think my biggest problem at present (beside the obvious mental ones that make me write) is the stupid internet connection, so hey, I can't complain. Neither can I.

      Delete